If you have found an animal there a few notes that you
should be aware of as some of them are legal
• If the animal has an identification tag, try
contacting the owner.
• If you have found a dog, you must contact the local
authority dog warden immediately and arrange for them
to collect the dog. This is a requirement by UK law. The
dog warden will scan for a microchip to try and contact
• If you have found a cat, ask your neighbours if they
know to whom the cat belongs. Often cats believed to
be stray actually live locally.
• If the animal is injured, please take it to your nearest
vet or contact the RSPCA.
• If you know the microchip number of the animal you
can look on our resources page to see if its details are
known to Scanner Angel.